So Mike passed his nasty cold germs on to me, and it hit full force today. My head hurts, my throat is on fire, and I can’t hear out of right ear. I was thankful it was Saturday, and I didn’t have to get out of bed before the sun.
I wanted something hot for dinner hoping it would comfort my sore throat and Mike decided it was a perfect night for chili, I agreed.
This Chili is simple and wonderful, making it ideal for a busy weeknight dinner. We make a GINORMOUS amount and freeze some to use later for chili dogs, Mike’s lunch, or just another night when we want chili. So if you don’t want a big batch and just need enough for the night, cut this recipe in half
What do you need:
- 1 box of Texas Chili Kits ( or something equivalent ) I know it says for 2 lbs but we use this one box for 4lbs of meat.
- 2 16oz cans of Red Kidney Beans
- 2 16oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 16oz cans tomatoes for chili
- 4 lbs of chili meat
- 1 large onion
- optional toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, Fritos
What you do:
1. Chop onion
2. Add Onion and Chili meat to a dutch oven and cook until meat is cooked through. (10-15 minutes) Stirring often.
3. Drain meat and return to pan
4. Add all cans of tomatoes, sauce, beans, and chili kit into the pan with meat and onions.
5. Heat through until hot a bubbly.
We add a little bit of cheese to the top, and I add sour cream and Fritos (not the healthiest option, I know.)